Engagement & Inclusion E-bulletin June 2022
Welcome to our E-bulletin for June 2022
The E-bulletin is aimed at organisations who are working with groups and individuals who might benefit from volunteering. We aim to keep you up to date with our latest news and developments. If you have anything you would like us to include, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteers’ Week 2022
Volunteers’ Week takes place from 1st – 7th June and is the perfect opportunity for organisations – like Volunteer Glasgow – to say Thank You to its volunteers and show how much their hard work is appreciated.
We are so fortunate to have so many fantastic volunteers supporting our organisation, and many of the services we provide would not be possible without their time, energy, vision and enthusiasm – so thank you to all of you for everything that you do!
You can follow our social media to learn more about celebrations taking place across the city and to share in the positive vibes, or share your own ideas or head to volunteersweek.scot/get-involved/ for some inspiration! Volunteers Week Scot
As part of our Volunteers’ Week celebrations, we will be hosting a one-off evening Get Ready to Volunteer session on Tuesday 7th June from 6.30-7.30pm. Anybody who is interested in learning more about volunteering can book a space now on Eventbrite.
Get Ready to Volunteer is a relatively new service aimed at anybody who is interested in volunteering (or any organisations working with individuals who may benefit from volunteering). This general volunteering information session currently takes place over Zoom, lasts approximately 1 hour and will cover the following:
- What is volunteering?
- Where you can volunteer
- Benefits of volunteering
- Things to consider before volunteering
- How to register with Volunteer Glasgow and search for opportunities
- Time for Q&A’s
We aim to continue with our new monthly daytime slot sometime in early to mid July and will keep you posted.
Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations
Volunteer Glasgow will be closed on Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd June but we will be open as normal on Monday 6th June. As always, you can search for volunteering opportunities here and it is also worth checking out Glasgow Life’s volunteering platform which advertises opportunities to volunteer at one-off events as well as regular volunteer roles in its Museums, Arts and Music venues and Community and Sport facilities.
Latest Service Developments
It’s all change within the Engagement & Inclusion Team with Team Leader, Billy McFarlane, bringing to a close an illustrious thirty-six-year career with Volunteer Glasgow at the end of last month. Billy achieved so much in his time with Volunteer Glasgow, with the Wellbeing Initiative, our SQA Approved Centre services and in leading so many of our wonderful partnerships with key agencies such as Community Justice Glasgow and Elevate Glasgow. We wish him a well deserved and happy retirement.
Sadly, we are also losing Amos Dahl and Robyn Dunbar-Smith later this month. Although they have only been with us a short time, they have made a really positive impact at Volunteer Glasgow. Robyn, alongside Eliza Gearty, has been influential in the development of a new Get Ready to Volunteer session tailored specifically for refugees and asylum seekers. They have been a pleasure to work with and although we will miss them both, we wish them well with their future endeavours.
We hope to have a couple of new team members in the not too distant future. In the meantime, we will continue to offer our services to the best of our abilities but please bear with us towards the latter part of the month when we may not be able to respond to your enquiries as quickly as we would like.
Referral Agency Networking Sessions
You can now book a place on one of our Quarterly Networking Sessions which are taking place on the following dates:
Tuesday 21st June 10.30-11.30 on Teams
Thursday 23rd June 1.30-2.30pm on Zoom
We continue to support people to access volunteering in the following ways:
- You can search for opportunities to volunteer here. If you register with us, you will automatically be able to apply for or join any opportunities that interest you, or access contact details for organisations providing volunteering roles so you can contact them directly.
- Our Virtual Drop-in Service continues every Wednesday between 11am-1pm – you can join us here. Please note, there will be no virtual drop-in on Wednesday 29th July
- Telephone and virtual appointments – contact email@example.com if you would like to make an appointment for yourself or a client or service user to speak with an Adviser about volunteering.
- Boost Your Employability – an online ‘event’ page that highlights programmes running in the city that offer a range of personal development opportunities and may work well in conjunction with volunteering. The page is updated regularly. If you have any programmes you would like to promote, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.We launched the Boost Your Employability online event just before Christmas. Please note, this is not an online event that you attend but an event for us to promote different programmes that are happening across Glasgow which might help people boost their employability and, combined with volunteering, provide an opportunity to learn new skills, build confidence and to gain valuable practical experience. If you are an organisation providing an employability or personal development programme and would like our assistance in promoting it, please get in touch and we will add a description to the event page.
- Volunteering Toolkit training for organisations. The training enables your organisation to deliver your own volunteering information sessions and will help you provide better support to clients to help them access volunteering. We hope to start offering these sessions on a more frequent basis in the coming months.
- Regular e-bulletins providing updates on our latest service developments.