Volunteer Glasgow’s Smarter Volunteer Manager Programme
Update on our Smarter Volunteer Manager programme and how to book for upcoming dates!
In 2021, our team worked to develop our existing Smarter Volunteer Manager training into an accessible programme that could be delivered completely online using a peer-led, learner-driven approach.
This training programme, based on Volunteer Glasgow’s Dynamic Model, has helped 29 volunteer managers and coordinators across Scotland to methodise new or existing volunteer programmes. This programme is for anyone who engages with volunteers, including:
- Managers of volunteering programmes
- Personnel with responsibility for day-to-day supervision of people volunteering
- Strategic lead officers
- Members of governing bodies
Currently delivered entirely online using Zoom, the programme runs over six, three-hour sessions spaced over three weeks.
The SVM programme is designed to be a peer-led and informal learning environment facilitated by Volunteer Glasgow staff. Therefore, the training is:
- Learner driven and self-directed.
- A relaxed experience for participants.
- An opportunity to expand participants’ reference and knowledge points on engaging volunteers
With a combination of mentoring, peer discussion, small-group exercises and individual study, there will be opportunities created between sessions for you to explore your learning style within the programme content.
The potential benefits to you in completing the SVM programme are:
- A more confident approach to engaging in the recruiting and managing of volunteers
- An opportunity to gain insight of other volunteering programmes of your peers
- An increase in your relevant newly acquired skill/knowledge of engaging volunteers going forward
- A greater understanding of the motivations of people to volunteer and what your organisation can offer them.
- Explore the pitfalls to be avoided in the provision of support and engagement required to run a successful volunteer programme.
- An overall structured model to adopt to achieve a successful volunteering programme.
Take a look at some quotes from SVM participants who’ve completed the programme:
I absolutely feel like I have much more confidence for going forward with our volunteer programme. (Participant March 2021)
I feel I have gained a very good base level knowledge of what I need to know to confidently carry out my job working with volunteers. (Participant May 2021)
It’s rare to find a training opportunity where you can cover topics in such depth and with such a small, focused group of people. The personal nature of the course and the chance to engage with peers in similar volunteering roles was hugely beneficial (Participant June 2021)
This course helped me understand my job role better and increased my knowledge in recruiting and supporting volunteers. (Participant July 2021)
The course was extremely useful for me to gain the knowledge I needed and best practice methods for setting up a volunteer programme. (Participant October 2021)
I’ve been in the role for over 2 years but never formally trained to carry it out. I thought I was flying by the seat of my pants but realise now that I do know what I’m doing. After being on the Programme, I now have the tools and framework from the Dynamic Model to be a more effective volunteer manager. (Participant December 2021)
Our Organisation Support Team will be delivering the entire online programme in July – August 2022:
Places are first come first serve and are limited to six places. The closing date for booking for this SVM Programme is Noon Friday, 15th April 2022. Candidates booking over the 6 limits will have the first refusal on future SVM dates (TBC).
Introduction Session: Wednesday 6th July 2022, 10 am – 1.00 pm
SVM Session 5: Wednesday 10th August 2022, 10 am – 1.00 pm (Candidates’ ‘Present Your Vision’ Session)
(All sessions are consecutive and not individual)
- Organisations with an annual income of less than £20,000 per annum, can book a place on this course for FREE.
- Organisations with an annual income between £20,000 – £500,000 or more will be invoiced for £250.
To read more and to book a place (A Registration of Interest form is at the bottom of the page) click on this link. You will then receive further information from the Programme Facilitator.