Impact Report 2019
North East Glasgow Young Persons Befriending Service
- 21 children and young people aged 8-18 supported by 21 people volunteering as communitybased adult mentors and befrienders; with funding from BBC Children in Need and the National Lottery Communities Fund.
- 71% increased self-confidence and self-esteem.
- 66% more engaged in age-appropriate community activities.
- 71% better able to cope with their circumstances and take on new challenges.
- Issues for young people have included domestic violence, disabilities such as autism, caring responsibilities, parental ill health, parental substance misuse, bullying, racial discrimination, bereavement and a lack of positive and consistent adult role models.
Emma (13) was referred to YPBS in March 2018.
Her Mum, Donna, was seriously ill and died at the end of September.
Matched to Angie, Emma has been able to get informal support for coping with bereavement, help in accessing other valuable services and to enjoy activities with someone that she can talk to.