Recruit Enthusiastic, Young Volunteers!
Our Volunteering Works (VW) programme is 5 weeks in duration and aimed at 18-24 year olds and seeks to boost their Employability via volunteering. Candidates will also complete the SQA Level 4 Employability Award, to enhance their volunteering skills, experience and qualities.
In this round of Volunteering Works, we are trying a new approach whereby we are targeting the young persons volunteering experience to suit their own particular interests, rather than group tasters. We are hoping this will lead to a greater number of people taking up volunteering on a longer term basis. We hope that this will result in your VIO recruiting and retaining more, younger, enthusiastic volunteers.
“My main expectation was to gain confidence in employability skills through volunteering and I feel this was met very well!” – Participant June 2015
In view of this, we are now seeking to build a ‘bank’ of VIO volunteer opportunity placements to match future Volunteering Works participants into; Can your VIO offer a placement to a Volunteering Works volunteer?
The idea now would be for us here at Volunteer Glasgow to do more:
- ‘Pre-assessment’ of the potential volunteer to ascertain what type of volunteering our new candidates would be interested in
- Then once that type of volunteering (e.g. retail) is identified by the potential volunteer, we would match them into one of our ‘banked’ VIOs that are offering such an opportunity (e.g. Charity Shop)
Once a VIO has been identified, we would introduce the volunteer to you, so that you can discuss the volunteering opportunity.
Initially we would seek for your VIO to host the young person for 1 session per week for the 5 weeks of the programme (more can be discussed as the placement continues, if both parties agree), with a view to the volunteer continuing their volunteering beyond this timescale, thereby making a longer term commitment to the VIO.
“Being able to explore potential volunteering placements through Volunteering Works and to work through the Employability Award at the same time was helpful” – Participant December 2015
Volunteer Glasgow will cover the volunteers:
- Travel expenses for their volunteering sessions within the 5 weeks.
- Any lunch expense if volunteering over 4 hours in any 1 session
- We will also complete 1 visit to the volunteer to ascertain (along with the VIO) if the placement is suitable and working for both parties.
If your VIO can open its doors to new potential young volunteers, contact Derek Craig direct on 0141 226 2562; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete the online form below, and Derek will get in touch with you to arrange to meet.
We’ll look forward to discussing possibilities with you. Many thanks.